develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2013

Re: [perl #117327] Sequence (?#...) not recognized in regex

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
April 29, 2013 14:50
Re: [perl #117327] Sequence (?#...) not recognized in regex
Message ID:
20130429144951.GN3729@plum.flirble.org
On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 02:39:52PM -0700, Father Chrysostomos via RT wrote:
> On Tue Apr 23 13:09:41 2013, khw wrote:
> > Attached is a patch for review that fails with a more appropriate error
> > message.  As you can see in the commit message, the scope of the problem
> > is somewhat larger than previously thought.
> >

> Thank you.
>
> If you are fixing all the (?...) constructs at the same time (which I
> think you are), then I am all for this patch.
>
> What makes me uncomfortable is leaving Perl in an inconsistent state in
> which *some* (?...) constructs allow the space and some do not.

I agree - it's better to be consistent, even if it's a consistently ugly
state. (and the same ugly as the previous releases.)

I'm not at all familiar with that code, so I can't say with any confidence
whether this change gets all of them, or leaves some uncovered. I hope that
someone else is confident to assess this.

Nicholas Clark