develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2013

Re: [perl #117793] Extend SvREFCNT* to work on any perl variabletype

From:
Tony Cook
Date:
April 28, 2013 23:03
Re: [perl #117793] Extend SvREFCNT* to work on any perl variabletype
Message ID:
20130428230250.GA20574@mars.tony.develop-help.com
On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 02:39:25PM -0700, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> "I recently discovered that Devel::Peek's SvREFCNT, SvREFCNT_inc
> and SvREFCNT_dec functions are not as flexible as the XS functions that
> they wrap.  In XS where you wish to get the reference count of an hash
> your HV * pointer will cast to an SV * when passed as an argument to
> SvREFCNT().  In Perl using Devel::Peek:SvREFCNT(%m) does not return the
> reference count of %m, but rather treats %m as a list of arguments to
> the function causing a runtime error.  I believe the intent of the code was
> to return the reference count of the parameter passed and the difference
> between Perl Prototypes and C casting was overlooked.
>     A small patch (attached) will extend these three functions to
> work on any perl variable type.  This could break code in cases where
> users expect an array of one member passed to these functions to operate
> on that only member of the array, but for all other data types (and
> arrays of any other length) these functions currently croak.  Possibly a
> new family of functions is warranted to maintain reverse compatibility
> in the single element array case in the existing functions, but it is
> not my place to make that judgement."

Or we could just deprecate/remove them.

Tony