develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2013

[perl #117745] tabulate no longer supported platforms

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
April 24, 2013 12:44
Subject:
[perl #117745] tabulate no longer supported platforms
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-28177-1366807473-1346.117745-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Nicholas Clark
# Please include the string:  [perl #117745]

We should create a table of platforms for which support is dropped, and the
last version at which they were supported (and, effectively the first version
for which they are no longer supported). For example

* ExtUtils::MakeMaker dropped MacOS (Classic) support at some point, after
  which it was no longer possible to build perl on Classic. Hence any
  stable version of perl shipping that MakeMaker cannot support Classic.
* Win98 support was dropped at some point. I think that NT support was
  dropped, but I'm not sure about Windows 2000.

and obviously, there are the platforms that we explictly removed (eg Apollo)

This information can be figured out somewhere, but it would be good to do
this once and put it in a easily accessible canonical table somewhere,
presumably in perlport.pod.

We could also include platforms we *think* are dead.

This information is reasonably useful for the Perl core, but also of use
for CPAN authors. If other constraints move a module's minimum supported
version later than the last version supporting an OS, then all portability
code (and cruft) related to that OS can safely be removed. eg

    ### IPC::Run doesn't run on win98
    return if IS_WIN98;

Nicholas Clark