develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2013

perl 5.18 status!

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
April 18, 2013 02:14
Subject:
perl 5.18 status!
Message ID:
20130418021416.GA22331@cancer.codesimply.com

I didn't write last week about perl 5.18.  Sorry!  I was getting ready for, and
then enjoying, the QA Hackathon in Lancaster.  I made a bunch of progress on
removing Pod::Parser from core.  It was good.

So, what's the state of getting 5.18 out?

We have ten tickets marked as blockers.  Of these, four are likely "keep an eye
on these" tickets, leaving six blocker-like blockers.  One of those is the **
ticket, which I think is going to end up being informational.  We'd like to put
* to more use in 5.19, and the question is: is it already deprecated hard
* enough?  I think so.

So, what's left?

  "in cleanup" warnings
  https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=113794
  I don't know that we're going to see a fix for this soon.  I'd love to see
  one.  It may end up being a "known problem," which I'd love to avoid.

  caller in re-evals
  https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=113928
  Same boat.

  can't use @var in regexp, only $var
  https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=115004
  Dave M. said he was working on this.  Now that the Regexp::Grammars blocker
  is done, I expect this is on deck.

  (?#...)
  https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=117327
  I was asked to decide a path forward.  I did so, more or less.

  EU::MM test issue
  https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=117477
  I expect Tony C. to push his fix soon.

  Carp::longmess
  https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=117613
  This looks like a real mess.  I hope to see, tomorrow, whether
  we can really sort this out before we ship.  I'd rather not "known problems"
  this, but we can, since it's dual life.  Still, better to fix it.

So what's up next?  In part, wait for fixes.  In another part, 5.17.11.  I will
release that myself this month.  It will be the last 5.17 release.  Any
subsequent release will be 5.18.0 RCx, hopefully soon thereafter.

--
rjbs