develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2013

Upcoming service disruptions for booking.com hosted machines

From:
Dennis Kaarsemaker
Date:
April 3, 2013 21:00
Subject:
Upcoming service disruptions for booking.com hosted machines
Message ID:
1365022818.4825.16.camel@localhost
I am in the final phase of giving camel & co another hardware and OS
upgrade. Due to physical constraints (replacement is a blade chassis,
there's not enough power in the rack to power all the blades and the
existing servers), this will involve some serious downtime on Friday and
over the weekend. A summary of the expected downtime:

- Everything will be down for at least an hour while we're swapping out
  hardware
- gitweb/git should work quite soon after that again
- jenkins/perl5.test-smoke.org will be up soon after as well, but will
  go down later when they are moved to a new OS
- camel's replacement should accept pushes again a little while after
  that. Camel's replacement will be a VM, so no longer suitable for
  heavy work. It will also no longer host git/gitweb, that's delegated
  to different vm's that automatically mirror any incoming pushes.
- rsync/ftp access to the APC will be down for a few more hours
- dromedary/llama will return in a different shape and be accessible as
  soon as possible, but that will likely be in or after the weekend.
- The metacpan backup machine will stay online in its old shape for a
  week longer

As all machines will be reinstalled, things that were not installed via
puppet may go missing. I will copy homedirs to the new servers, nothing
else. I will also install the latest released perl version
as /usr/local/bin/perl.

And to make up for all the disruptions (ok, not really. It's
independently planned) the following will happen:

Once the dust settles on this, I will install many more vm's with
different operating systems and integrate them with jenkins or a
different CI tool for continuous testing of blead. Porters will also
have SSH access to them for porting. A new service will join the club
too: the CPAN testers will find a home on a new server here.

And when that's all done, half the blade chassis is full, and I will
fill up the other half for more capacity:

- One more blade for metacpan
- One more blade for cpan testers
- One or two more dromedary-like machines for random heavy work like
  Nicholas' tests, Steffens CPAN smokery or Yves' debugging (note: it's
  not limited to that, any porter can use them)
- A few more blades to test even more operating systems and/or smoke-me
  testing.
--
Dennis Kaarsemaker, Systems Architect
Booking.com