Re: [perl #117355] [lu]cfirst don't respect 'use bytes'

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
March 26, 2013 10:50
Re: [perl #117355] [lu]cfirst don't respect 'use bytes'
Message ID:
20130326104958.GQ2413@iabyn.com
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 02:50:34AM +0100, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Brian Fraser <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2013-03-26 01:50]:
> > $_ = "\x{30cb}";
> > use Devel::Peek;
> > use bytes;
> > Dump $_ for uc, lc, CORE::fc, ucfirst, lcfirst;
> >
> > ucfirst & lcfirst return a UTF-8 flagged scalar, while the first three
> > return bytes.
>
> Is it worth fixing something to follow a semantic that itself is broken
> as designed?
>
> I’m not sure if we had an explicit consensus about bytes.pm being highly
> discouraged, the way we had about encoding.pm deserving deprecation, but
> I would be happy if we could move it in that direction; and the farther,
> the happier.

From the top of the pod in bytes.pm, added for 5.12.0:

=head1 NOTICE

This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and
has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the
innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string),
and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is
strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be
useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between
your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case,
you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation:
L<perluniintro>, L<perlunitut>, L<perlunifaq> and L<perlunicode>.

--
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand.