Re: [perl #117355] [lu]cfirst don't respect 'use bytes'

From:
Eric Brine
Date:
March 26, 2013 09:58
Re: [perl #117355] [lu]cfirst don't respect 'use bytes'
Message ID:
CALJW-qF3fMaf==rzzew5NSWDsM-VMGOH=WQP7S+zV0T+Y9NDKQ@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de>wrote:

> * Brian Fraser <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2013-03-26 01:50]:
> > $_ = "\x{30cb}";
> > use Devel::Peek;
> > use bytes;
> > Dump $_ for uc, lc, CORE::fc, ucfirst, lcfirst;
> >
> > ucfirst & lcfirst return a UTF-8 flagged scalar, while the first three
> > return bytes.
>
> Is it worth fixing something to follow a semantic that itself is broken
> as designed?
>
> I’m not sure if we had an explicit consensus about bytes.pm being highly
> discouraged

"and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is
strongly discouraged."

> , the way we had about encoding.pm deserving deprecation,

"This module is deprecated under perl 5.18. It uses a mechanism provided by
perl that is deprecated under 5.18 and higher, and may be removed in a
future version."

At least publicly, it's not quite the same level.

but I would be happy if we could move it in that direction; and the
> farther, the happier.

Indeed. If you have to deal with a buggy module, should be using
utf8::downgrade instead.