Re: converting z/OS Perl build to use xlc instead of c89

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
March 25, 2013 22:21
Re: converting z/OS Perl build to use xlc instead of c89
Message ID:
20130325232102.45a305c2@pc09.procura.nl
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 17:51:06 -0400, John Goodyear <johngood@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> To get the initial builds of Perl on z/OS to work, I've had to put some
> temporary hacks into the Configure script so that some of the compiler
> tests get the proper answer.
>
> The main problem is that c89 requires the use of parenthesis for some of
> the options.  i.e.: langlvl(longlong).   The Configure script does not
> handle cflags in the same manner that makes it easy to keep the shell and
> c89 happy when the flags are passed to the compiler.

There are two things I'd like to point out that may help you in this
phase of your battle:

1. Policy.sh
   don't pass -D... -U... to Configure, but put them in Policy.sh
   you can add comments

2. hints/zos.sh
   or whatever $^O will be. That is THE place to note system specific
   changes to Configure and is much easier to maintain than patching
   Configure

> Since the xlc compiler was released with z/OS 1.6  (~10 years ago?), it
> seems reasonable to update the make process to use xlc.   This will be my
> plan, unless any of the current z/OS Perl users have a good reason not to.
>
> John Goodyear

using perl5.00307 .. 5.17   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE