Re: [perl #117289] ExtUtils-ParseXS installs xsubpp twice

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
March 25, 2013 19:49
Re: [perl #117289] ExtUtils-ParseXS installs xsubpp twice
Message ID:
CAHhgV8iXxtrz8funLGq8w9GjXHQK2Ay55_o_42YaieNOijLL_w@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Petr Pisar <ppisar@redhat.com> wrote:
> The problem here is the same file gets installed into /usr/{,local/}bin and
> into @INC. What's good for to have the same file twice in your system?

AFAIK the original place was in @INC. It was later added to
install{,vendor,site}bin.

> And is xsubpp supposed to be "require"-d by other perl code? Then there is no
> reason to install the file there.
>
>> AFAIK, there is no requirement that the paths named in @INC contain
>> *only* Perl library (.pm) files.
>
> Thus it's reasonable to put the file there?

Hysterical raisins.

MakeMaker depends on it being there. Even if we'd change how MakeMaker
works, there's still older versions to keep into account. I agree with
you it's not a logical location, but we just can't go around breaking
20 years of MakeMaker out of stylistic reasons.

>>a configuration file (typemap) as well as
>> a read-only version of xsubpp.
>>
> Again, what is it good for?

Actually, I wouldn't know a better place for that than in @INC.
Granted, nowadays we'd use File::ShareDir or some such, but it boils
down to the same.

> If I can be constructive, moving lib/ExtUtils/xsubpp to scripts/xsubpp and
> removing 'EXE_FILES' => ['lib/ExtUtils/xsubpp'] from Makefile.PL should fix
> this issue.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Leon