develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2013

Re: [perl #117271] Re: Bleadperl v5.17.9-200-g0e0ab62 breaksMLEHMANN/JSON-XS-2.33.tar.gz

Thread Previous
From:
Marc Lehmann
Date:
March 21, 2013 18:18
Subject:
Re: [perl #117271] Re: Bleadperl v5.17.9-200-g0e0ab62 breaksMLEHMANN/JSON-XS-2.33.tar.gz
Message ID:
20130321181806.GF3714@schmorp.de
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:28:40AM -0700, Leon Timmermans via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:

I almost didn't read your mail because of the unnecessary full
quote. Please properly format your mails or I will not be able to respond.

> Marc, can you please stop doing this.

Doing what exactly? Point out problems with perl?

No, I really can't, or at least it is hard for me. Perl is important for
me, and seeing needless breakage does make me act.

If you don't want me to do that, you should tell andk not to tell me about
breakages, and never mail me.

Because if that happens, I will respond.

> Obviously you're not seeing why people react so combative to you,

I can only speculate, the same as you.

> given how consistently this happens to you (and not to most other

I don't know what consistently means, but I know it happens etxremely
rarely.

I do a lot of e-mail - it is my mail commmunications device. I get many
dozens of personal mails per day, and almost never, if ever, do I run into
problems.

The only consistency I see is the overwhelmingly good responses I get,
with rare occurances like these, certainly not caused by me.

I understand it can piss of people when you are honest, but all in all,
that's a good thing, at least in my experience.

Or maybe I don't - it really is so rare that I can't see any patterns.

> people), don't you think you're the key player in that dynamic?

Nothing gives me that impression. How would I see it when everything works
great most of the time.

Really, I am in a sea of feel good (cough, obviously I have bad days, like
everybody else), and I am not surprised if sometimes I can't get along
with somebody, that's only naturally.

Seriously, I get so much feedback on my software, and it's often
constructive, often naive (you know, users, but often they point at
shortcomins in the documentation of interesting but failed expectations
etc), but nothing like this: ignoring all arguments, just repeatedly
saying "you are wrong, because I say so".

I must say that to me, it overwhelmingly looks as if this attitude of
perl5porters is the problem.

It's the reason I stopped contributing - the atmosphere on this list is so
unconstructvie, with so many people who have nothing to contribute bossing
others around.

(I didn't know I reply to perl5porters btw.).

> You consistently manage to get upset people, and in the end yourself.

I much more consistently make people feel thankful for what they got from
me, and contribute useful stuff.

If it really is a problem with me, you should be able to point out what it
is.

> Perhaps you could consider delegating these discussions to someone you
> trust who can communicate with p5p more effectively.

I didn't have bad experiences, even with p5p, for quite some time. I remember
bad times from the past, but overall, not many.

All _I_ ask is for people to be reasonable. At the very least, if you have
no arguments, then don't post. Just saying "you are wrong, becasue I say
so" simply doesn't cut it for me.

This is different to some lazy chat - I replied to a bug report, and you
can criticise me as much as you want, but I do expect you to actually have
reasons for generating extra work for me.

-- 
                The choice of a       Deliantra, the free code+content MORPG
      -----==-     _GNU_              http://www.deliantra.net
      ----==-- _       generation
      ---==---(_)__  __ ____  __      Marc Lehmann
      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp@schmorp.de
      -=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\

Thread Previous


nntp.perl.org: Perl Programming lists via nntp and http.
Comments to Ask Bjørn Hansen at ask@perl.org | Group listing | About