Re: Some facts/observations on *early adopter* perl use

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
March 13, 2013 00:13
Re: Some facts/observations on *early adopter* perl use
Message ID:
20130313001303.GG2209@iabyn.com
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 03:54:26PM -0500, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> Also, there are more resources consumed producing a release than just
> the release manager's time, and all of them are in short supply.

In particular, many people running current smokers would have to be
persuaded to run that branch on their systems. And it probably won't build
on several new platforms, and on the ones it does build on, more tests are
going to fail. Who (if anyone) is going to do the back-porting of 4+ years
worth of portability fixes? And if we don't, we have to just release it
saying "yeah, there's lots of black smoke, don't know if any of it is
significant".

And since it appears to people that the 5.8.x branch is now "supported" again,
who handles new bug reports for 5.8.x? And deals with the complaints that
a "new" release of perl won't build on many platforms, or fails tests
during build, and comes bundled with 200 CPAN modules that are all over 4
years old and full of old bugs that have been fixed since?

--
But Pity stayed his hand. "It's a pity I've run out of bullets",
he thought. -- "Bored of the Rings"