Re: Some facts/observations on *early adopter* perl use

From:
Peter Rabbitson
Date:
March 12, 2013 18:20
Re: Some facts/observations on *early adopter* perl use
Message ID:
20130312182037.GA4313@rabbit.us
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 09:31:20AM -0500, Jesse Luehrs wrote:
> I'm not sure what you are getting at here. The support policy isn't
> based around "what we would like to force people to do", it's based on
> how many resources p5p has available. As far as we're aware, there is
> not enough manpower on p5p to maintain 6 separate maintenance branches
> (which seems to be what you're implying here).

So if I volunteer to do the legwork of preparing 5.8.10 (including the
current stuff in maint-5.8 and whatever other feedback I receive), doing
the proper work as per the RMG, doing the RCs, and cooperating with ANDK
to smoke all this - then we can get a 5.8.10?

My impression is that a 5.8.10 is out of the question for "marketing"
reasons. I.e. "this stuff is dead, stop using it". It does not look to
be the case *only* because it is hard to ship a perl release (it isn't
lately). In other words I would be extremely surprised that the maints
have not shipped solely due to lack of manpower. Do tell me if I am
wrong.

> If anyone wants another release of the major perl version they are using
> which is out of support, p5p would absolutely be okay with accepting
> offers from people willing to be release managers - the maint branches
> for old versions still exist all the way back to maint-5.8, and they are
> still at least vaguely attempted to be kept up to date with security
> patches and such, even though nobody seems interested in doing the work
> to release them. Do you know of any such volunteers?

I do volunteer (aside that tuits are scarce this week). I do however
want some sort of "green light" from the pumpkin before I sink the time
needed.

> Or what else are you actually trying to say here?

The other thing I am trying to say is that 3 years is insanely short. And
the numbers seem to sort-of back me up.

Cheers