Re: Getting new version of Pod::Simple updated in core (and fixingupstream modules in general)

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
March 1, 2013 17:52
Re: Getting new version of Pod::Simple updated in core (and fixingupstream modules in general)
Message ID:
20130301175208.GC2294@iabyn.com
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 08:22:17AM +0100, demerphq wrote:
> I think our policy should be: push patches upstream. Wait a week. If a
> new release is not forthcoming create a core only release of the
> module.

We used to have a policy where we freely patched in core, modules that
were dual-lived. It ended up being chaos, with 100+ modules gradually
getting out of sync with CPAN. The main problems are:

1) There is a risk, each time a new CPAN release is pulled into blead, of
overwriting any local fixes. Failing that, someone has to examine any local
fixes, and make sure that they're (correctly) re-applied over the new
CPAN release (while skipping any local changes that *have* been
incorporated back into the CPAN release, but perhaps in a different way).
Which can be quite hard.

2) On each perl maint branch, you end up with with a separately-forked
unofficial version the module, all out of sync with each other, and with
inconsistent _00N ad-hoc version numbers. That was the situation I found
myself in as maint-5.10 pumpkin; it took weeks and weeks of effort to try
and work out what was going on for each of 100+ distributions. It's not
nearly as bad these days because we try to avoid patching or upgrading
distributions in maint releases where avoidable, and we now have a bunch
of tools like core-cpan-diff that can more easily flag up divergences.

So I would suggest: only patch locally if the change is critical for core
perl to build/function correctly, and the module's author has failed to
provide a new release within a "reasonable" period. Then work hard to
resync core and CPAN ASAP.

--
Lear: Dost thou call me fool, boy?
Fool: All thy other titles thou hast given away; that thou wast born with.