Re: [perl #116831] Benchmark tests produce a lot of warnings in5.17.9 (yves/hv_h_split branch)

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
March 1, 2013 16:38
Re: [perl #116831] Benchmark tests produce a lot of warnings in5.17.9 (yves/hv_h_split branch)
Message ID:
20130301163835.GB2294@iabyn.com
On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 09:53:03PM -0500, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> * demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> [2013-02-24T00:53:55]
> > Good catch. I actually wonder at the wisdom of this at all. Having the
> > warnings be on a different channel than the data means you dont know
> > which item being benchmarked is responsible for the warning as the two
> > handles can get out of sync due to buffering.
>
> I think if that's the case, we might want to improve the warning message to
> make it clearer, rather than put the warnings on the standard output stream.
>
> I also wonder whether some of the tests that are emitting these warnings are
> emitting them with good reason.  That is: are they actually testing timings
> badly?  I have not yet investigated.

I've reverted the change for now with commit
a2656c4ab81b216a427d1e0db6a3aa25b4350ba8.

Presumably we can re-address this issue post-5.18.

--
Lear: Dost thou call me fool, boy?
Fool: All thy other titles thou hast given away; that thou wast born with.