Re: Please mail me the proposed perlopentut

From:
Paul Johnson
Date:
March 1, 2013 13:50
Re: Please mail me the proposed perlopentut
Message ID:
20130301134949.GU30673@pjcj.net
On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:25:18AM -0700, Tom Christiansen wrote:
> Andreas Koenig <andreas.koenig.7os6VVqR@franz.ak.mind.de> wrote
>    on Sun, 17 Feb 2013 11:39:50 +0100:
>
> >> I used a USB FOB for my full filesystem test.  Easiest thing to fill
> >> up.
>
> ># date > /dev/full
> >date: write error: No space left on device
>
> I tried that, but it exists on neither OpenBSD nor Darwin.
>
> It would also be nice to have a /dev/eieio that gives random
> I/O errors. :)
>
> Actually, it would be cool to have a
>
>     /dev/errno/ENOSPC
>     /dev/errno/EIO
>     /dev/errno/EAGAIN
>     /dev/errno/ETIMEDOUT
>
> etc.  You get the idea.
>
> I don't know how to create a pseudo-device that produces a
> certain errno for certain operations.  I'm not even sure
> what sort of interface I want for it.  I just know that it
> would make testing much easier.

You might be interested in libfiu - Fault injection in userspace.
See http://blitiri.com.ar/p/libfiu/

I've not used it, and I have no idea whether it works on either OpenBSD
or Darwin, but I like the idea.

I wonder how useful it would be to run against the perl test suite.
Probably not very.  We would need specific tests for error conditions, I
expect.  But running against those tests would be useful.

--
Paul Johnson - paul@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net