Re: PL_sv_objcount

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
March 1, 2013 07:04
Re: PL_sv_objcount
Message ID:
513052E8.4080800@cpan.org
On 03/01/2013 02:10 AM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 06:14:24PM +0100, Steffen Mueller wrote:
>> On 02/28/2013 06:01 PM, Andy Dougherty wrote:
>>> What about CPAN modules using it?  There are at least a few.   I forget
>>> how we deal with such things.
>>
>> Ah, good catch. I don't know how much interpreter variables are
>> considered to be public API.
>>
>> If in doubt, the non-cost of simply keeping the variable, ignoring
>> it in the actual core code, adding a deprecation to the perldelta,
>> and then dropping it in 5.20 seems like the right trade-off here.
>
> I'm not sure that keeping PL_sv_objcount, but always leaving it at zero
> is the right approach for temporary backwards compatibility at this
> moment -  in that if there *is* any code that uses the variable, it may
> be relying on it having a sensible non-zero value.
>
> I'd recommend leaving PL_sv_objcount as-is for 5.18 (with a deprecation
> notice), then removing completely for 5.19.0.

I think that is entirely overdone. CPAN appears to have no usage that
isn't just "oh, I need to keep this up to date" and I am hard-pressed to
imagine people relying on this obscure counter.

Let's not complain about poor maintainability due to lack of manpower if
we're too afraid to make the most innocent of changes. That
self-reinforces in two ways: a) more work, particularly having to go
back to things at a future time instead of being able to focus on
something more interesting then. b) potential contributors being
intimidated by the level of process required to do anything. This is not
a technical hurdle.

--Steffen