[perl #116683] Diagnostics not listed in perldiag.pod

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
March 1, 2013 02:54
Subject:
[perl #116683] Diagnostics not listed in perldiag.pod
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-28177-1362106452-556.116683-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Feb 07 20:10:39 2013, demerphq wrote:
> This is a bug report for perl from demerphq@gmail.com,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.39 running under perl 5.12.4.

> [Please describe your issue here]
>
> Perl diag is missing many entries, which are in turn TODO tests
> in t/porting/diag.t
>
> This is a task that could be handled by someone without C skills.
>
> Note this bug is about *blead* perl, the below status is from my
> system perl.

I glanced at this ticket tonight and soon saw one problem in tackling it.

When I run t/porting/diag.t, I get this output in the section for file gv.c:

##########
not ok 127 - Can't locate object method "%s" via package "%s" (perhaps
you forgot to load "%s"?) # TODO in DATA
# Failed test 127 - Can't locate object method "%s" via package "%s"
(perhaps you forgot to load "%s"?) at porting/diag.t line 392
#     Message 'Can't locate object method "%s" via package "%s" (perhaps
you forgot to load "%s"?)'
#     from gv.c line 1042 is not listed in pod/perldiag.pod
#     (but it wasn't documented in 5.10 either, so marking it TODO).
##########

In point of fact, this warning *is* covered in pod/perldiag.pod -- but
in two distinct entries:

##########
    980 =item Can't locate object method "%s" via package "%s"
    981
    982 (F) You called a method correctly, and it correctly indicated a
package
    983 functioning as a class, but that package doesn't define that
particular
    984 method, nor does any of its base classes.  See L<perlobj>.
    985
   3865 =item (perhaps you forgot to load "%s"?)
   3866
   3867 (F) This is an educated guess made in conjunction with the message
   3868 "Can't locate object method \"%s\" via package \"%s\"".  It
often means
   3869 that a method requires a package that has not been loaded.
   3870

This suggests that a certain portion of the diagnostics marked as TODO
in t/porting/diag.t have, in fact, been done.  How should we proceed?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: new