Re: PL_sv_objcount

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
March 1, 2013 01:10
Re: PL_sv_objcount
Message ID:
20130301011050.GZ2294@iabyn.com
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 06:14:24PM +0100, Steffen Mueller wrote:
> On 02/28/2013 06:01 PM, Andy Dougherty wrote:
> >What about CPAN modules using it?  There are at least a few.   I forget
> >how we deal with such things.
>
> Ah, good catch. I don't know how much interpreter variables are
> considered to be public API.
>
> If in doubt, the non-cost of simply keeping the variable, ignoring
> it in the actual core code, adding a deprecation to the perldelta,
> and then dropping it in 5.20 seems like the right trade-off here.

I'm not sure that keeping PL_sv_objcount, but always leaving it at zero
is the right approach for temporary backwards compatibility at this
moment -  in that if there *is* any code that uses the variable, it may
be relying on it having a sensible non-zero value.

I'd recommend leaving PL_sv_objcount as-is for 5.18 (with a deprecation
notice), then removing completely for 5.19.0.

--
Monto Blanco... scorchio!