[perl #59456] Perl 5.8.8 Build Failures for SunOS 4.1.3

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
February 28, 2013 22:29
Subject:
[perl #59456] Perl 5.8.8 Build Failures for SunOS 4.1.3
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-28177-1362090531-552.59456-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Feb 28 11:56:01 2013, nicholas wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 07:38:50PM +0000, Peterson, Bob D (MN14)
>    wrote:
> > It's fine with me if you close the ticket. The 5.8.8 build seems to
>    be working well in spite of the failures.
> >
> > In case you're wondering why we're running such an old OS, we have a
>    very old (early 90's), very expensive (>$1million) test equipment
>    used to test integrated circuits. The equipment works perfectly
>    well, but the software won't work with newer OS versions and the
>    vendor no longer supports it. We're stuck with what we have.
>
> If you want to upgrade to a more recent version of Perl that we do
>    support,
> we'd be happy to consider patches to fix problems. I suspect that most
>    won't
> be particularly invasive.
>
> In particular, I think that the codebase is now defensive to check the
> return type of sprintf(), which (IIRC) is char * on SunOS. I don't
>    think
> that 5.8.8 knew that.
>
> Nicholas Clark

Original poster is satisfied, so it's time to close out this ticket.  We can handle any new patches
like those Nick refers to in new RTs.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---