Re: [perl #59456] Perl 5.8.8 Build Failures for SunOS 4.1.3

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
February 28, 2013 19:55
Re: [perl #59456] Perl 5.8.8 Build Failures for SunOS 4.1.3
Message ID:
20130228195517.GD3729@plum.flirble.org
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 07:38:50PM +0000, Peterson, Bob D (MN14) wrote:
> It's fine with me if you close the ticket. The 5.8.8 build seems to be working well in spite of the failures.
>
> In case you're wondering why we're running such an old OS, we have a very old (early 90's), very expensive (>$1million) test equipment used to test integrated circuits. The equipment works perfectly well, but the software won't work with newer OS versions and the vendor no longer supports it. We're stuck with what we have.

If you want to upgrade to a more recent version of Perl that we do support,
we'd be happy to consider patches to fix problems. I suspect that most won't
be particularly invasive.

In particular, I think that the codebase is now defensive to check the
return type of sprintf(), which (IIRC) is char * on SunOS. I don't think
that 5.8.8 knew that.

Nicholas Clark