Re: [perl #116963] Add documentation on the advantages of perldoc for man users to perl.pod

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
February 28, 2013 15:21
Re: [perl #116963] Add documentation on the advantages of perldoc for man users to perl.pod
Message ID:
1992.1362064840@chthon

Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org> wrote
   on Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:39:26 GMT:

>On 28 February 2013 02:36, tchrist1 via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
>> Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org> wrote
>>    on Thu, 28 Feb 2013 00:23:14 GMT:
>>
>>>See issue #62136 for a sample. As far as I can tell, it's more of a
>>>limitation of converting perldoc to man.
>>
>> Hm, you mean this issue?
>>
>>     % man -w sort
>>     /usr/local/man/man3/sort.3
>>     /usr/share/man/cat1/sort.0
>>     /usr/share/man/cat3p/sort.0
>>
>>     % man -w open
>>     /usr/local/man/man3/open.3
>>     /usr/share/man/cat2/open.0
>>     /usr/share/man/cat3p/open.0

>I'm sorry, I'm not sure what issue you're describing there.

I was trying to figure out what the confusion was.  I thought it
might be because there is more than one sort or open manpage.

>The issue is this: man pages and perldoc support different sets of
>lookup keys. man pages support really just one, names of pages.
>perldoc supports several (FAQ entries, variable names, page names
>&c.), not all of which map on to man pages.

>Hence, my patch points out this problem (in more concrete terms) and
>offers a solution, namely to use perldoc. It attempts to place the
>text where man users are likely to find it (near the start of the
>principal man page).

Well, it wasn't supposed to be that way, and never used to be.
Perhaps somebody gratuitously futzed with the pod spec and so broke
the manpage conversion.  It used to work just fine.

    See the sort function in the perlfunc manpage.

    See "Why shouldn't I use defined on an array or hash" in the perlfaqXXX manpage.

Those should be perfectly fine.  If somebody broke that, they shouldn't have.

--tom