Re: [perl #116963] Add documentation on the advantages of perldoc forman users to perl.pod

From:
Reuben Thomas
Date:
February 28, 2013 10:39
Re: [perl #116963] Add documentation on the advantages of perldoc forman users to perl.pod
Message ID:
CAOnWdohr07KhxwMjCbxchxHDRqtyRNULyzkTbnqJMfhJWNaU6A@mail.gmail.com
On 28 February 2013 02:36, tchrist1 via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org> wrote
>    on Thu, 28 Feb 2013 00:23:14 GMT:
>
>>See issue #62136 for a sample. As far as I can tell, it's more of a
>>limitation of converting perldoc to man.
>
> Hm, you mean this issue?
>
>     % man -w sort
>     /usr/local/man/man3/sort.3
>     /usr/share/man/cat1/sort.0
>     /usr/share/man/cat3p/sort.0
>
>     % man -w open
>     /usr/local/man/man3/open.3
>     /usr/share/man/cat2/open.0
>     /usr/share/man/cat3p/open.0

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what issue you're describing there.

The issue is this: man pages and perldoc support different sets of
lookup keys. man pages support really just one, names of pages.
perldoc supports several (FAQ entries, variable names, page names
&c.), not all of which map on to man pages.

Hence, my patch points out this problem (in more concrete terms) and
offers a solution, namely to use perldoc. It attempts to place the
text where man users are likely to find it (near the start of the
principal man page).

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org