Re: New EBCDIC branch available

From:
John Goodyear
Date:
February 27, 2013 15:41
Re: New EBCDIC branch available
Message ID:
OFE669E30B.C741423D-ON85257B1F.0053C91C-85257B1F.00560879@us.ibm.com

Andy Dougherty  wrote on 02/27/2013 09:25:31 AM:

> > > Getting to the compile, I get roughly 1500 of these CCN4108
> > >   informationals for every time __attribute__ is seen when
> compiling a file:
> > >
> > >     INFORMATIONAL CCN4108 ./proto.h:4534  The use of keyword
> > >     '__attribute__' is non-portable.
> > >

> > > If we are comfortable with this issue, then  adding ,SUPPRESS
(CCN4108)
> > >   will quite the compiler down.  Of course the parens have to be
inside
> > > double quotes to keep the shell happy, so ccflags in hints/os390.sh
> > > would become:
> > >
> > >     ccflags="$ccflags -W 0,float(ieee),SUPPRESS(CCN4108)"
> >
> > I wonder if your compiler understands __attribute__.  I think it must,
but
> > someone who knows Configuration should comment on this and using fgrep.
>
> I think some compilers will accept __attribute__ but not actually do
> anything useful with it.
>
> If this compiler actually uses attributes, then we want to suppress the
> warning, as suggested.  If it doesn't use them, then it's probably more
> sensible to change the Configure test to detect this "INFORMATIONAL"
> output.  That's not too hard, and I can do it if we learn that the
> attributes are useless here anyway.

The z/OS compiler sometime emits INFORMATIONAL messages like this unless a
certain LANGLVL option is supplied.  Problem is I cannot find it at this
moment.  Will keep digging.

The z/OS C compiler compiler supports the attribute keyword, but in a
limited manner.  It looks like it is going to ignore most all of the
attributes used in the Perl code.  He are links for the 3 types of
attributes the compiler supports.

   Function attributes:
   http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/cbclr1b0/8.6?SHELF=CBCBS1D0&DT=20110613040946

   Type attributes: