Re: [perl #116963] Add documentation on the advantages of perldocfor man users to perl.pod

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
February 27, 2013 14:43
Re: [perl #116963] Add documentation on the advantages of perldocfor man users to perl.pod
Message ID:
20130227154253.64102df4@pc09.procura.nl
On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 14:17:57 +0000, Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org> wrote:

> On 27 February 2013 14:15, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker via RT
> <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> > Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org> writes:

> >> Thanks, that should have been -q. Revised patch:
> >
> > You should also metion the C<-v> switch for looking up individual
> > variables in L<perlvar>.
>
> It is probably as well to agree the patch in principle first. Also,
> every additional switch mentioned adds maintenance burden, and once
> having used perldoc the user can quite easily look up its
> documentation. Hence, I suggest it's better to stick with just one or
> two switches, enough to provide a compelling reason to use perldoc in
> the first place.

You could refer to its own docs, somewhat like
--8<---
Some documentation is not available as man pages, so if a
cross-reference is not found by man, try it with L<perldoc>.  Perldoc can
also take you directly to documentation for functions (with the B<-f>
for other helpful options L<perldoc> has to offer.
-->8---

FWIW I think I like the intent of the patch

using perl5.00307 .. 5.17   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE