Re: New EBCDIC branch available

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
February 27, 2013 14:25
Re: New EBCDIC branch available
Message ID:
alpine.DEB.2.02.1302270848370.21710@fractal.phys.lafayette.edu
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Karl Williamson wrote:

> On 02/26/2013 08:41 PM, John Goodyear wrote:
> > Karl,
> > I pulled down a snapshot from the link you provided.
> >
> > Here is the configure output: of
> >
> >     sh ./Configure -Dprefix=/u/jgood/local -Dusedl -Dusedevel -de >
> >     configure.out 2>&1&
> >

> > /(See attached file: configure.out)/
> >

> > WRT to the errors previously seen during the makedepend step, besides
> > the errors about missing headers which don't yet exist in the makedepend
> > phase, the only remain error is:
> >
> >   2002  Finding dependencies for pp_sys.o.
> >    2003  ERROR CCN3010 ./time64.c:478   Macro PeRl_CaTiFy invoked with a
> > null argument for parameter a.
> >    2004  ERROR CCN3010 ./time64.c:478   Macro PeRl_CaTiFy invoked with a
> > null argument for parameter a.
> >
> > However,there is a new wrinkle.   the grep issued from cppstdin causes
> > this notification for each source file:
> >
> >     grep: FSUM9950 input lines truncated - result questionable
> >
> > Apparently grep is limited to 2048 bytes.    The workaround is to use
> > fgrep instead.   I did the replacement of grep for fgrep in cppstdin,
> > and the error went away.    I see Configure is conditionalized for AIX,
> > so perhaps adding another condition for z/OS.   However the questions are

This is easy to change since hints/os390.sh defines a custom cppstdin
wrapper anyway.  I've pushed this change to the khw/ebcdic topic branch.
(Karl, I hope you don't mind me doing so!)

> > Getting to the compile, I get roughly 1500 of these CCN4108
> >   informationals for every time __attribute__ is seen when compiling a file:
> >
> >     INFORMATIONAL CCN4108 ./proto.h:4534  The use of keyword
> >     '__attribute__' is non-portable.
> >

> > If we are comfortable with this issue, then  adding ,SUPPRESS(CCN4108)
> >   will quite the compiler down.  Of course the parens have to be inside
> > double quotes to keep the shell happy, so ccflags in hints/os390.sh
> > would become:
> >
> >     ccflags="$ccflags -W 0,float(ieee),SUPPRESS(CCN4108)"
>
> I wonder if your compiler understands __attribute__.  I think it must, but
> someone who knows Configuration should comment on this and using fgrep.

I think some compilers will accept __attribute__ but not actually do
anything useful with it.

If this compiler actually uses attributes, then we want to suppress the
warning, as suggested.  If it doesn't use them, then it's probably more
sensible to change the Configure test to detect this "INFORMATIONAL"
output.  That's not too hard, and I can do it if we learn that the
attributes are useless here anyway.

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu