New EBCDIC branch available

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
February 26, 2013 21:28
Subject:
New EBCDIC branch available
Message ID:
512D28E1.5090606@khwilliamson.com
I have created a topic branch for work on EBCDIC at
http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/khw/ebcdic

It is my expectation that this will serve as the on-going repository for
work on this.

John should build off this.  I believe it fixes a number of problems in
the existing code, and isolates the need for EBCDIC awareness to just a
few code areas.

I'm pretty sure that the utilities like h2xs would not compile prior to
these patches.

The next step is to get a successful build of miniperl.  This actually
is fairly early in the build of perl.

Once that is done, a bunch of things need to be regen'd to know about
the EBCDIC character set, before the make can successfully continue.

Having an older running perl would help in this process, but I'd like to
figure out and prove-in, and document the steps needed to boot-strap
perl onto a computer without using older infrastructure.