Re: Recent pod

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
February 26, 2013 07:21
Re: Recent pod
Message ID:
20130226082101.473c9e03@pc09.procura.nl
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 23:32:30 +0100, Mark Overmeer <mark@overmeer.net>
wrote:

> * David E. Wheeler (david@justatheory.com) [130225 16:57]:
> > On Feb 24, 2013, at 1:29 PM, Mark Overmeer <mark@overmeer.net> wrote:
> > > However... in this case, I see only an error for '1' and '2', not '0'
> >
> > Lists must start with 1. When it saw the 0, it assumed it was a
> > definition list, so the numbers after that don't look right.
> >
> > It's likely that Pod::Simple has always formatted this list as a
> > definition list. Is that what you wanted? If so, then you can fix it by
> > wrapping the numbers on C<> or S<>. If not, then consider re-numbering
> > from 1.
>
> On purpose I included a bit larger example:  (now a bit stripped down)
> This got derived form the original XML::LibXML manpage.
>
>   =item NormaliseSpace => 0 | 1 | 2
>   This option controls how whitespace in text content is handled.
>   Recognised values for the option are:
>
>   =over 4
>   =item 0
>   (default) whitespace is passed through unaltered (except of ...
>
>   =item 1
>   whitespace is normalised in any value used as a hash key ...
>
>   =item 2
>
> The perlpod manual speaks about a special meaning for '1.', not '1'
> without dot.
>
> > Either way, this warning has alerted you* to an unexpected
> > inconsistency, and so gives you the opportunity to do something about it.
> >
> > *Where by "you" I man the maintainer of this module and others that
> > might exhibit a similar problem.
>
> Of course, there are many work-arounds.  That's not the point.  It's
> the missing point, I think.

FWIW I never meant to "complain", but to "signal", and seeing the
nature of the change, notice the list.

I knew about the trailing ., but didn't realize it when I saw the
errors/warnings. I can live with the S<>, C<>, or Z<> change. I
actually already changed that in the pod at hand, and the problems
disappeared.

using perl5.00307 .. 5.17   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE