Re: [perl #116915] require a "I know EBCDIC is threatened" switch toConfigure

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
February 25, 2013 22:33
Re: [perl #116915] require a "I know EBCDIC is threatened" switch toConfigure
Message ID:
20130225223315.GA19400@cancer.codesimply.com
* "Craig A. Berry" <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> [2013-02-25T17:04:04]
> And I don't see the need to formally threaten to pull the plug on
> people just as they are getting started.  That could be construed as
> discouraging.

A warning -- the first? -- was given in September of 2011.

  http://markmail.org/message/jjtloaarncwlsdwa

Nothing seemed to come of it.  I also contacted a number of people on and off
perl5-porters who had expressed some interest in helping.  Nothing came of
that.

Another warning, or rather a pointed to the earlier warning, was issued in
January of 2012, after I took over from Jesse Vincent.

  http://markmail.org/message/tqwhdcehdkglhb2p

A new warning was issued in February of 2013:

  http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.mvs/2013/02/msg1619.html

...which included:

> I will provide more concrete dates in the coming weeks, but do not delay
> waiting for concrete dates.  Treat this as a last call.

While I hope that people who want to keep Perl working on their platforms can
and will do what is needed, it seems to me like it would be irresponsible to
plan for the best.  Either John, Karl, and anyone who works with them will get
things back into a maintainable state (builds, smokeable, regular reports) or
not.  If not, either someone else will step up in time or not.

I think this warning serves to bring more attention to the fact that this
platform is at risk, so that other potential workers will be alerted that
their help would be useful.  This is a step to *get attention* for the problem
so it can be addressed in the way most beneficial to everyone.  It is not a
blind march forward toward inevitable deletion.

--
rjbs