Re: Recent pod

From:
Mark Overmeer
Date:
February 25, 2013 22:32
Re: Recent pod
Message ID:
20130225223230.GB17662@moon.overmeer.net
* David E. Wheeler (david@justatheory.com) [130225 16:57]:
> On Feb 24, 2013, at 1:29 PM, Mark Overmeer <mark@overmeer.net> wrote:
> > However... in this case, I see only an error for '1' and '2', not '0'
>
> Lists must start with 1. When it saw the 0, it assumed it was a
> definition list, so the numbers after that don't look right.
>
> It's likely that Pod::Simple has always formatted this list as a
> definition list. Is that what you wanted? If so, then you can fix it by
> wrapping the numbers on C<> or S<>. If not, then consider re-numbering
> from 1.

On purpose I included a bit larger example:  (now a bit stripped down)
This got derived form the original XML::LibXML manpage.

  =item NormaliseSpace => 0 | 1 | 2
  This option controls how whitespace in text content is handled.
  Recognised values for the option are:

  =over 4
  =item 0
  (default) whitespace is passed through unaltered (except of ...

  =item 1
  whitespace is normalised in any value used as a hash key ...

  =item 2

The perlpod manual speaks about a special meaning for '1.', not '1'
without dot.

> Either way, this warning has alerted you* to an unexpected
> inconsistency, and so gives you the opportunity to do something about it.
>
> *Where by "you" I man the maintainer of this module and others that
> might exhibit a similar problem.

Of course, there are many work-arounds.  That's not the point.  It's
the missing point, I think.
--
Regards,

               MarkOv