Re: [perl #116915] require a "I know EBCDIC is threatened" switch to Configure

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
February 25, 2013 22:04
Re: [perl #116915] require a "I know EBCDIC is threatened" switch to Configure
Message ID:
CA+vYcVztwq0i1_DG2tNLkHd5_V_XL8JqPxxh+3rUJgVAAQYS7g@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM, H.Merijn Brand <h.m.brand@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:11:21 -0500, John Goodyear <johngood@us.ibm.com>
> wrote:
>
>> If anyone has a script they use to pull down, build and test Perl,   I can
>> try to adapt it to z/OS.
>
> It is a CPAN module with good documentation and easy setup:
>
> https://metacpan.org/module/Test::Smoke
>
> You can then either start "manual" smokes, start them from a scheduler
> like cron, or run a script that continuously runs smoke tests. The
> choice depends on the speed of the system and the available system
> resources

But running a Perl module depends on having a port of Perl, which is
the one thing he doesn't have (I don't *think* he does; it's possible
a much older Perl for z/OS could be rustled up somewhere).

My recommendation would be to do things manually for a bit and then
automate those steps after they are refined.

And I don't see the need to formally threaten to pull the plug on
people just as they are getting started.  That could be construed as
discouraging.