Re: [perl #116915] require a "I know EBCDIC is threatened" switchto Configure

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
February 25, 2013 21:49
Re: [perl #116915] require a "I know EBCDIC is threatened" switchto Configure
Message ID:
20130225224906.7a865189@pc09.procura.nl
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:11:21 -0500, John Goodyear <johngood@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> If anyone has a script they use to pull down, build and test Perl,   I can
> try to adapt it to z/OS.

It is a CPAN module with good documentation and easy setup:

https://metacpan.org/module/Test::Smoke

You can then either start "manual" smokes, start them from a scheduler
like cron, or run a script that continuously runs smoke tests. The
choice depends on the speed of the system and the available system
resources

> John Goodyear
>
> demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote on 02/25/2013 02:31:14 PM:
> > Subject: Re: [perl #116915] require a "I know EBCDIC is threatened"
> > switch to Configure
> >
> > What we generally need is someone to "smoke-test" Perl regularly and
> > send us reports of the build process that we can use those to try to
> > support you. If it involves manual labor to do IMO it will be too time
> > consuming to be of that much use.
> >
> > Yves
> >
> > On 25 February 2013 18:22,  <CARROS1@nationwide.com> wrote:
> > > The only issue with Hercules is being licensed to run zOS on it.
> > > We do run zPDT here and I have zOS 1.13 loaded on it now.
> > > I can not of course allow outside access to our internal network for
> others
> > > to logon.
> > > but if it is a packaged set that I can run here I'll be happy to run
> test on
> > > our PDT system
> > >
> > > Sandra
> > >

> > > From:        Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com>
> > > To:        John Goodyear <johngood@us.ibm.com>
> > > Cc:        perl5-porters@perl.org, perl-mvs@perl.org, Ricardo Signes
> > > <rjbs@cpan.org>
> > > Date:        02/25/2013 12:15 PM
> > > Subject:        Re: [perl #116915] require a "I know EBCDIC is
> threatened"
> > > switch to Configure
> > > ________________________________

> cleaver
> > >>

> > > I'm optimistic that we can get this working; I'm committed to it, and
> > > John looks to be to.
> > >
> > > The problem is keeping things in working order.  We need on-going
> > > periodic testing to make sure that changes we make don't break EBCDIC.
> > > I think at least monthly, and preferably weekly, testing of blead would
> > > be sufficient.
> > >
> > > Reini Urban pointed out this link just a couple of days ago:
> > > http://www.hercules-390.org/
> > > a z/OS simulator that runs on, among other things, Linux.  If that
> works
> > > well enough, it might mean an answer to our testing.
> > >
> > > If we do get things working, but can't keep things going, I believe we
> > > owe it to the future potential users to package it into some sort of
> > > release.

> switch

> > --
> > perl -Mre=debug -e "/just|another|perl|hacker/"

using perl5.00307 .. 5.17   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE