Getting new version of Pod::Simple updated in core (and fixingupstream modules in general)

From:
demerphq
Date:
February 25, 2013 07:22
Subject:
Getting new version of Pod::Simple updated in core (and fixingupstream modules in general)
Message ID:
CANgJU+UYdO4_mfuB0RrVHq6hRpMYVRCFNiUQgtgD3ZtMcgY42g@mail.gmail.com
Hi all,

I am wondering what the status is with getting Pod::Simple updated in perl.

As far as I can tell some changes to Pod::Simple caused some
downstream breakage and we have not upgraded because of it.

I understand Ricardo was looking into fixing one of the breakages, in
which case all the better.

However, we have been waiting for those downstream modules to fix
their stuff for many months.

I don't think is a reasonable amount of time.

IMO at this point we should just update Pod::Simple and let the
maintainers start seeing test fails in their cpan matrixes.

I actually think the are grounds to rethink our policies about dual
lifed modules. It is very very hard to maintain development velocity
when you have to wait weeks to get upstream packages fixed and are
blocked from merging only because of upstream modules not applying
patches that took minutes to write. It is even more difficult when you
have to wait on modules that are downstream of upstream to patch their
stuff too. IMO This is not good for Perl. Developer velocity is
important, being slammed to a stop because of upstream issues is
really frustrating.

I think our policy should be: push patches upstream. Wait a week. If a
new release is not forthcoming create a core only release of the
module.

I also think that our policy should be that if you have a module in
core you have to give more than one core committer a commit bit so
that they can roll releases if needed.

This waiting forever to get minor test patches applied to upstream is
really frustrating.

Yves