[perl #59186] MIPS64 Configuration fails;

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
February 24, 2013 23:22
Subject:
[perl #59186] MIPS64 Configuration fails;
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-31961-1361748156-443.59186-15-0@perl.org
On Mon Sep 22 04:22:46 2008, hmbrand wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:15:31 -0700, "Phani Kancharla" (via RT)
> <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
>
> > # New Ticket Created by  "Phani Kancharla"
> > # Please include the string:  [perl #59186]
> > # in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue.
> >

> > Hi,
> > I have tried configuring the perl-5.8.8 for MIPS 64 big endian. The
> target
> > architecture supports 64bit integers.
> >
> > *The configurations fails with the following errors:*
> > Cannot figure out how to print 64-bit integers.
> > Checking the format strings to be used for Perl's internal types...
> > ./Configure: Fatal: failed to find format strings, cannot continue.
>
> hints/mips.sh is really short, but hints towards using a different
> compiler. Is your mips system using this hint file?
>
> The very first question is about your OS
>
> Using [:upper:] and [:lower:] to convert case.
> 3b1           dos_djgpp       irix_6_1        nonstopux     sunos_4_0
> aix_3         dragonfly       irix_6          openbsd       sunos_4_1
> aix_4         dynixptx        isc_2           opus          super-ux
> aix           dynix           isc             os2           svr4
> altos486      epix            linux           os390         svr5
> amigaos       esix4           lynxos          os400         ti1500
> apollo        fps             machten_2       posix-bc      titanos
> atheos        freebsd         machten         powerux       ultrix_4
> aux_3         genix           midnightbsd     qnx           umips
> beos          gnukfreebsd     mint            rhapsody      unicosmk
> bsdos         gnuknetbsd      mips            riscos        unicos
> catamount     gnu             mpc             sco_2_3_0
> unisysdynix
> convexos      greenhills      mpeix           sco_2_3_1     utekv
> cxux          hpux            ncr_tower       sco_2_3_2     uts
> cygwin        i386            netbsd          sco_2_3_3     uwin
> darwin        interix         newsos4         sco_2_3_4     vmesa
> dcosx         irix_4          next_3_0        sco           vos
> dec_osf       irix_5          next_3          solaris_2
> dgux          irix_6_0        next_4          stellar
> Which of these apply, if any? [linux]
>
> As you can see, my system suggests 'linux'. If your system suggests
> 'mips', it will use hints/mips.sh to do some specific OS related
> settings, and that file /might/ be the place to tell Configure how to
> deal with 64bit on mips if it fails using the default analysis
>
> > If I see the "Configure "file,  $ivsize is set with 8 and $sPRId64
> is set
> > NULL(''). With these values it going in to the error condition and
> exiting.
> >
> > Is there any way to get ride of it??
> >
> > Thanks a lot in advance....
> > -Phani

H.Merijn Brand appears to have given a reasonable response to the
original poster's questions, and there has been no further
correspondence in nearly 4-1/2 years.

I am marking the ticket resolved.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan