[perl #62136] Confusing cross-reference in perlfunc(1)

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
February 24, 2013 22:57
Subject:
[perl #62136] Confusing cross-reference in perlfunc(1)
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-31961-1361746646-719.62136-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Jan 13 06:54:23 2009, rrt wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, renee.baecker@smart-websolutions.de via RT wrote:
>
> > As I see, the perl manpage already suggests to  use perldoc if man
> > doesn't work. It's just the paragraph that follows your patch.
>
> Do you mean the paragraph before my patch, which mentions perldoc? The
> paragraph after is about using "perl -w" for debugging.
>
> The paragraph before my patch suggests using perldoc if the
installation of
> man, or the perl man pages, is broken. My patch points out that some
cross
> references are not to be found as man pages, and that in that case one
can
> use perldoc.
>
> Maybe I should combine the paragraph I added with the previous one to
make
> this clearer?

I reviewed this older ticket today.  A patch was applied in response to
the original poster's complaint -- and then discussion went off in a
different direction before petering out more than four years ago.

My feeling is that there is no benefit to keeping this ticket open.  If
someone feels there are remaining issues with, say, pod/perl.pod, he/she
should open a new RT and submit a new patch.

I will close this ticket in seven days unless someone is willing to take
over the discussion and bring it to a conclusion.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open