Re: blockers of 5.18.0: a foreword

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
February 18, 2013 17:37
Re: blockers of 5.18.0: a foreword
Message ID:
20130218173703.GL2294@iabyn.com
On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 01:07:32PM +0100, Steffen Mueller wrote:
> More generally speaking, does everyone feel comfortable with the
> state of lexical subs right now?
>
> It would be a huge shame to not have them enabled and shiny in 5.18,
> but IIRC there were some issues that surfaced recently (prototypes)
> and Father Chrysostomos, their champion, has been on hiatus.

They are currently enabled, but by default emit a 'this is experimental'
warning:

    $ ./perl -e'use feature 'lexical_subs'; my sub f {warn "foo\n" } f()'
    The lexical_subs feature is experimental at -e line 1.
    foo
    $

    $ ./perl -e'no warnings 'experimental::lexical_subs'; use feature 'lexical_subs'; my sub f {warn "foo\n" } f()'
foo
    foo
    $

So I think that gives us enough wiggle room to allow them for 5.18, even
if they turn out to be initially buggy.

--
"Emacs isn't a bad OS once you get used to it.
It just lacks a decent editor."