Re: [perl #116587] Dual-lifed version of Data::Dumperintermittently fails tests on 5.8.*

From:
Peter Rabbitson
Date:
February 17, 2013 11:44
Re: [perl #116587] Dual-lifed version of Data::Dumperintermittently fails tests on 5.8.*
Message ID:
20130217114406.GA6785@rabbit.us
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 07:02:45PM -0800, James E Keenan via RT wrote:
> On Tue Jan 29 22:35:55 2013, smueller@cpan.org wrote:
> > On 01/30/2013 05:47 AM, Peter Rabbitson (via RT) wrote:
> > > The test block
> https://github.com/tsee/Data-Dumper/commit/db957a7e#L4R1476
> > > fails randomly (both pp and xs part) on any 5.8 perl (regardelss of what
> > > version.pm is installed if any). While fixing this would be nice, it is
> > > likely a bug in perl itself (otherwise the pp version would not be
> failing
> > > randomly). If this is the case I propose skipping the tests on $] <
> 5.009,
> > > as v-string support was not available on D::Ds that shipped with
> 5.8, and
> > > hence things like CPAN are unlikely to rely on it.
> >
> > I'm on board with this. Any objections?
> >
> > Jim, what's the status of your patches? I would hate to do this change
> > just to cause a conflict for you!
> >
> > --Steffen
> >

> Steffen, I have now merged my revisions, so you can branch directly from
> blead.

Just re-poking this issue.

I can not seem to find what the actual issue is with v-strings, and my
motivation to try to fix it is very low given that v-strings are a heap
of fail anyway.

I am again proposing a plain skip on $] < 5.01. If requested I will
provide a patch (not doing so yet because the work of merging it etc
will be more than inserting the line in question).

This ticket is a blocker for me because I currently can not depend on
Test::Differences which in turn depends on Data::Dumper. For the curious
I can not use is_deeply because of this problem:
https://github.com/schwern/test-more/issues/347 (which likely is
unfixable due to backwards comp with existing tests). Everything is so
full of fail :(((