Re: Keeping track of used modules

From:
Johan Vromans
Date:
February 13, 2013 07:18
Re: Keeping track of used modules
Message ID:
m2621wiswp.fsf@phoenix.squirrel.nl
Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li> writes:

> I'm not sure that sort of complication embedded into the core
> interpreter will be welcome; the advantage of the atime method is that
> it doesn't impose any new penalty on the system.

All methods have pros and cons. But currently we have no clue at all, so
any information would be an improvement.

> that would weight some modules which tend to be used by short-running
> processes higher than those used by longer-running processes.

Yes, it is not possible to simply establish the importance/impact of
each module for a given user.

> Popcon in Debian has the concept of a vote where the file has
> been used in the past week, which is probably fine for the perl/CPAN
> world too; just needs the reporting agent to run once a week.

You're still overlooking the modules that are not installed in
/usr/lib/perl5.

>> Not many users will install their own perl interpreters.
>
> I agree, so isn't this a reason to keep the data collection out of it?

As said, all methods have pros and cons.

I do not pretend to have all answers.

-- Johan