Re: Keeping track of used modules

From:
Dominic Hargreaves
Date:
February 12, 2013 19:32
Re: Keeping track of used modules
Message ID:
20130212193242.GX5458@urchin.earth.li
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:57:26PM +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
> Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li> writes:
>
> > Debian uses[1] atimes to record this; obviously no good where that's
> > not supported/enabled by the filesystem, but it's another option to
> > consider.
>
> atime will only show *if* a module was used, and you'd still have to
> scan all disks for users that installed their own CPAN modules.
>
> What I meant what that the perl interpreter keeps a tally of the modules
> it loads, and registers that somewhere.

I'm not sure that sort of complication embedded into the core
interpreter will be welcome; the advantage of the atime method is that
it doesn't impose any new penalty on the system.

A separate reporting process would need to run periodically, similar
to the popcon program which runs on Debian systems. In terms of assessing
impact, I don't think counting the number of times a module is loaded
is that useful -- that would weight some modules which tend to be used
by short-running processes higher than those used by longer-running
processes. Popcon in Debian has the concept of a vote where the file has
been used in the past week, which is probably fine for the perl/CPAN
world too; just needs the reporting agent to run once a week.

> Not many users will install
> their own perl interpreters.

I agree, so isn't this a reason to keep the data collection out of it?