Re: Keeping track of used modules (Was: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?)

From:
Dominic Hargreaves
Date:
February 12, 2013 11:11
Re: Keeping track of used modules (Was: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?)
Message ID:
20130212111141.GV5458@urchin.earth.li
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 09:51:43AM +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
> Greg Lindahl <greg@blekko.com> writes:
>
> > I would love to have something that I could wire into my build system
> > that would report, every few weeks, all the CPAN modules that I use,
>
> The best tool for this is perl itself. We would need a very light-weight
> way to store some usage data upon termination. A shared memory file,
> maybe?

Debian uses[1] atimes to record this; obviously no good where that's not
supported/enabled by the filesystem, but it's another option to consider.

It'd be feasible to extract the data for CPAN modules (lib*-perl, roughly)
and publish a CPAN-specific report somewhere, I'd have thought.

[1] <http://popcon.debian.org/>