JROBINSON grant report #21 (Feb 3rd-9th)

From:
Jess Robinson
Date:
February 11, 2013 09:37
Subject:
JROBINSON grant report #21 (Feb 3rd-9th)
Message ID:
op.wsb40rl81zpo48@insel

Last week I spent all my time working on getting tests to pass. The week
was spent on the various locale and POSIX::setlocale using tests
specifically. Android provides a "setlocale" call, however this just
returns NULL and does not do anything at all. It also provides LC_ALL and
friends, but only as a set of enum values, not #defines (I haven't
discovered why this is). I proposed to p5p that the locale tests in
general should skip if $Config{d_setlocale} is not set, and "use locale"
itself should die() mentioning that locales are not supported. Nobody
objected, so I spent the rest of the week amending tests and locale.pm.

The patch of changes went to perlbug and was applied to blead by Karl
(thanks Karl!)

Summary
-------

10h40min - Amending locale and tests using setlocale to complain
louder/skip testing when $Config{d_setlocale} is false.

Jess