Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
Jesse Luehrs
Date:
February 8, 2013 18:09
Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
20130208180903.GA10865@tozt.net
On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 01:02:38PM -0500, bulk88 wrote:
> Dave Mitchell wrote:
> >On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 11:00:31PM +0100, Alexander Hartmaier wrote:
> >>My feeling is that p5p cares too much about backward compatibility!
> >
> >No we don't. I for one would be extremely annoyed if half my admin scripts
> >stopped working (or silently started misbehaving) just because I updated
> >my OS, which happened to include a newer bundled perl version.
> >

> If someone cant afford to budget time to test anything, they
> shouldn't be updating their OS.

You can say this all you want, but it's not going to stop people from
doing it.

> >>Old
> >>code will run on old Perl versions, they won't stop doing that when a new
> >>Perl version is released!
> >
> >But very soon, old perls stop building on new platforms.
>
> But someone can say "you broke all my Perl code because you dropped
> my OS". I know the reply to that will be "you didn't do anything
> about it when we announced it".

There's a difference between code that we dislike because it's hard to
maintain and code that is not actually possible to maintain because we
don't have access to the appropriate environment. We're only dropping
support for platforms that will likely end up broken anyway (if they
aren't already) because nobody has access to those systems anymore. This
is different from dropping support for features that we are capable of
modifying and testing.

> >>And if there is an easy way to have more than one Perl version on a server,
> >>and with perlbrew that problem is solved, you shouldn't care!
> >>Put a note about how to install the old version in parallel to the new one
> >>in the release notes and be done!
> >

> >Brillant! "We've broken all your code, but its your fault because you
> >didn't read the release notes carefully enough!"
> >

> That is life. A security fix broke your code. What do you do? Revert
> it since they had no right to break your code? Also the term "RTFM"
> comes to mind.

RTFM is an absolutely awful strategy for basically any kind of dealing
with people at all. Please don't suggest that as an actual real path we
should take.

-doy