Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
bulk88
Date:
February 8, 2013 18:04
Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
BLU0-SMTP3755636ADE7B8C60B82DE18DF050@phx.gbl
Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 11:00:31PM +0100, Alexander Hartmaier wrote:
>> My feeling is that p5p cares too much about backward compatibility!
>
> No we don't. I for one would be extremely annoyed if half my admin scripts
> stopped working (or silently started misbehaving) just because I updated
> my OS, which happened to include a newer bundled perl version.

If someone cant afford to budget time to test anything, they shouldn't
be updating their OS.

>> Old
>> code will run on old Perl versions, they won't stop doing that when a new
>> Perl version is released!
>
> But very soon, old perls stop building on new platforms.

But someone can say "you broke all my Perl code because you dropped my
OS". I know the reply to that will be "you didn't do anything about it
when we announced it".

>> And if there is an easy way to have more than one Perl version on a server,
>> and with perlbrew that problem is solved, you shouldn't care!
>> Put a note about how to install the old version in parallel to the new one
>> in the release notes and be done!
>

> Brillant! "We've broken all your code, but its your fault because you
> didn't read the release notes carefully enough!"

That is life. A security fix broke your code. What do you do? Revert it
since they had no right to break your code? Also the term "RTFM" comes
to mind.