Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
February 8, 2013 15:10
Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
20130208151029.GG2294@iabyn.com
On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 11:00:31PM +0100, Alexander Hartmaier wrote:
> My feeling is that p5p cares too much about backward compatibility!

No we don't. I for one would be extremely annoyed if half my admin scripts
stopped working (or silently started misbehaving) just because I updated
my OS, which happened to include a newer bundled perl version.

> Old
> code will run on old Perl versions, they won't stop doing that when a new
> Perl version is released!

But very soon, old perls stop building on new platforms.

> And if there is an easy way to have more than one Perl version on a server,
> and with perlbrew that problem is solved, you shouldn't care!
> Put a note about how to install the old version in parallel to the new one
> in the release notes and be done!

Brillant! "We've broken all your code, but its your fault because you
didn't read the release notes carefully enough!"

--
Art is anything that has a label (especially if the label is "untitled 1")