Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
Alexander Hartmaier
Date:
February 8, 2013 10:27
Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
CAB49QraprSHLKrkjDwSwQ_wgWH7ha0sX9fM3AMinzeOt74EwVg@mail.gmail.com
Maybe we should approach this differently: how would the Perl version
numbers have developed if Perl 6 hasn't been there?
Would 5.10 have been 6.0? Or 5.12 because it would have been able to
enabled strict by default instead of just under use 5.012;?
This only teachs us that experiments like Perl 6 should use a codename
instead of choosing the next version number while under development.
Would it help to free the version number 6 by asking the Perl 6 folks to
rename it for the time being to something else?
Obviously there are people (Stevan) that want Perl 5.5 in the sense that
they don't want to invest their time into finishing Perl 6 nor working on
the Perl 5 core as it is now.
To me that looks like a (not so) quick fix for a deeper problem. I'd
appreciate implementing another compiler for the perl 6 syntax but not
inventing a hybrid (Perl 5+?).