RE: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
vadim.konovalov
Date:
February 8, 2013 06:17
RE: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
35BF8D9716175C43BB9D67CA60CC345E028F5AEA29@FRMRSSXCHMBSC2.dc-m.alcatel-lucent.com
> From: Dave Mitchell [mailto:davem@iabyn.com]

> Please everyone, can we just stop now?
> The issue here is purely about marketing.

This issue 1)exists and 2) appears to be important, as was
explained by the OP.

> And from a technical viewpoint, perl's versioning system is already
> asymptotically complex, with $], version objects, "use :5.X",
> "use feature :5.X", etc.

this is yet another problem, but it isn't as big.

> I remember back in the Nineties when Sun moved from SunOS 4.x
> to SunOS 5.x,
> then Marketing decided to rename it Solaris 2.X (and SunOS 4.x was
> retrospectively renamed Solaris 1.x). But uname still identified the
> system as SunOS 5.x. It just pissed the heck out of any
> system admins at the time.

Rare people remember anything wrong with this (I don't).
I knew nothing about SunOS-to-Solaris, yet I knew about Sun and Solaris
but I was perfectly happy with both of them, for whatever reasons.

Sometimes companies do re-branding, due to some reasons.

IMO the moment come for perl5 to replace "5" to something.
(empty string, 7, star, plus, "astoria", Andromeda, M31, etc - all works for me, except 5 :)

> So why don't we just leave everything as is, and get on with
> fixing bugs
> etc, ready for the new release coming soon? (PS have we have lots
> of black smoke at the moment.)

Just ignoring the problem and switching to the pure technical issues
isn't a balanced solution.

Vadim.