Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
bulk88
Date:
February 8, 2013 03:48
Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
BLU0-SMTP438F61D3EE9BD7ECF973EB9DF050@phx.gbl
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer wrote:
> I started cooking a big editorial essay in my head, but I'm just
> going to try and boil it down…
>
> So long as a fixed number ("5" in this case) is *prominently*
> attached to Perl, it will be seen as stuck.  Specifically, it is
> stuck behind that thing called "Perl6".

Agree.

> You may understand the distinction between "Perl" and "Perl5" and
> "perl-5.16.2", but therest of the world (including many developers)
> does not.

Agree. Imagine if Javascript was called Java 2.0.

> Others (notably Apple, Java, Mozilla) understand how to manage
 > perceptions through names and numbers. We should learn from them.
>
> Continuing the affiliation between Perl5 and Perl6 is harmful to both
> camps.  Negative perceptions about either needlessly end up affecting
> both.

Agree. Often the people who choose to use Perl (and its programmers),
are not Perl programmers, and are not programmers themselves but just
management. There is no way to convince someone that Perl 6 is not the
successor to Perl 5, and Perl 5 is deprecated. I must be nuts to invest
in the dead Perl 5 where any day support is going to be dropped in favor
of Perl 6 but oh, Perl 6 isn't finished, it might be next year and all
my code is dead then.

> The Perl5 community must pursue its own best interests and cannot be
> held hostage by the name and number of another language.

Agree.

> The Perl6 community will not take offense at anything the Perl5
> community does.  We all understand that we have common roots, but we
> are now on separate paths.

Agree.

> I will not argue whether Perl is thriving or dying, but I will assert
> that the language and community does not receive as much "buzz" as it
> deserves.
>
> Rebranding, renaming, and/or renumbering are useful tools for
> generating "buzz."  But these alone are not sufficient -- a
> compelling message is also required.

The message is, Perl is maintained and alive, but those 2 words aren't
buzzwords.

> Initial reactions to these kinds of changes are always mixed.  But
> those feelings will fade and the benefits will come over time.
>
> Yes, this is mostly about marketing and image, but that doesn't mean
> it isn't worthwhile.  Perceptions do matter, regardless of whether
> they are rational.

Agree.

> Not everyone in the community cares about marketing, but we must not
> impede or discourage those who do.  We are all on the same team.

Agree.