Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
Alexander Hartmaier
Date:
February 7, 2013 22:30
Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
CAB49QrbuvNjmm_yBnhcX18o90Y_M-hZEFAccWONx90kdtNQS7A@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Ricardo Signes
<perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org>wrote:

> * Alexander Hartmaier <alex.hartmaier@gmail.com> [2013-02-07T17:00:31]
> > If the p5p core devs can finally agree on making backward-compatibility
> > changes I'll propose to start a list of things that should be changed and
> > removed (and maybe even some added /me looks at method signatures).
>
> We have made backward-incompatible changes, on occasion.
>
> Why don't you propose *specific things* and *one at a time*.  Bonus points
> for
> checking things like grep.cpan.me for an idea of *how much* code would
> break.
> I also strongly suggest that you explain how the breakage adds *specific*
> value.  "Let's drop a rarely used feature because it is rarely used." is
> not
> that.
>
> --
> rjbs

I wouldn't call it dropping 'features' but getting rid of old and foremost
not recommended ways of doing things because of side-effects that a new or
occasional Perl coder doesn't know.
I also don't think that such changes break a lot of CPAN modules, at least
not the maintained and often used ones because they are written by senior
Perl coders and don't use the mentioned styles.