Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
February 7, 2013 13:05
Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
20130207130502.GF2294@iabyn.com
On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 04:22:17PM +0100, Ovid wrote:
> In that I asked about the pros and cons of renaming Perl 5 to Perl 7. Toby
> Inkster suggested Perl 2013 (and so on).

[ cut big pointless thread ]

Please everyone, can we just stop now?

This is going to be the biggest, most pointless bike-shedding thread in
ages. At least most bike-shedding threads have an underlying reasonable
technical issue to solve (e.g. what to do about smartmatch), even if the
discussion itself meanders.

The issue here is purely about marketing.

If there is a perception that perl5 is old-fashioned and stagnating,
perhaps that's because that indeed is the truth? Pissing about with
versioning schemes isn't going to change that. The only thing it will do
is make us a laughing stock.

And from a technical viewpoint, perl's versioning system is already
asymptotically complex, with $], version objects, "use :5.X", "use feature
:5.X", etc. If we change the perl versioning, we have two options: either
change $] etc to the new scheme (which will just make everything
unfixably complex), or we keep it as is, and have the 'technical version'
(e.g. $]') diverge from the marketing version ("perlhype7, release 20,
platinum edition"). Which will just confuse people.

I remember back in the Nineties when Sun moved from SunOS 4.x to SunOS 5.x,
then Marketing decided to rename it Solaris 2.X (and SunOS 4.x was
retrospectively renamed Solaris 1.x). But uname still identified the
system as SunOS 5.x. It just pissed the heck out of any system admins at
the time.

So why don't we just leave everything as is, and get on with fixing bugs
etc, ready for the new release coming soon? (PS have we have lots
of black smoke at the moment.)

--
"But Sidley Park is already a picture, and a most amiable picture too.
The slopes are green and gentle. The trees are companionably grouped at