Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
Brad Gilbert
Date:
February 7, 2013 07:24
Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
CAD2L-T3Pw1k0_g-48ozoe2_N6hxgfz402SZArMmxyDiyiCV9pQ@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Ricardo Signes
<perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> This topic has come up many times in the past few years.  It is generally in
> the form "let's call the next one Perl 7" or "let's hide the 5 and call it
> version 18" and sometimes "Perl $Year."
>
> These all say, "Perl is the language, and Perl 6 is something irrelevant."
> This is specifically in contradiction to Larry, who has *specifically* and
> *repeatedly* addressed this point in keynotes and other public presentations.
>
> We can't call it "Perl {$x>5}" without contradicting Larry, and if some folks
> are interested in organizing a committee to badger Larry *even more* about this
> issue, the most I can really do is say that this isn't the place to do organize
> such a committee.  I'd also like to say that this has been addressed so many
> times that further pressing of the issue seems inappropriate.
>
> Furthermore, were Perl 7 to be released (secretly known to be Perl 5.20.0),
> what would the outcome be?  It would gain attention, and people would say,
> "Wow, a big new release of Perl?  What's new?  Oh.  Not very much!  Ho hum."
> It gets us attention and then squanders it, because it isn't able to deliver on
> "all the amazing cool new stuff."  What's amazing and cool since 5.8?  Many
> excellent features ranging from "small but very handy" to "significant and
> useful in some circumstances."  I am delighted to have s///r and lexical subs
> and (soon) subroutine signatures, but if the notion is that people think
> nothing has happened in 10 years, and the answer they get is those, I think we
> will appear desperate rather than vibrant.

Everybody is wrong.

It's real name is:

Perl, language number 5, version 16, revision 2

The reason we don't increment the 5 is because it is really the same language;
just with some minor, and not so minor improvements.

As far as I know the only time the language number changed without an actual
change of languages is when Perl 4 came out.

Although I suppose that means that Perl 5 is actually the 4th language named
Perl. ... Wait wasn't there a version 0?