Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
February 6, 2013 19:49
Re: Perl 7 or Perl 2013?
Message ID:
20130206194903.GV5653@plum.flirble.org
On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 06:34:27AM +1100, Peter Rabbitson wrote:

> This is a valid point from a technical perspective. But perception wise
> it seems to be false. I can not explain it. I myself am disgusted by the
> notion of Firefox 231.11. Yet it seems to work for them. *Really* well
> at that. So maybe the folks who do man our stands on non-perl events
> know a thing or two about things we don't know about...?

Does it? In that I thought that they started it at least partly to keep up
with Chrome, which was the first one doing version number hyperinflation.

Secondly, I read* a specific complaint from someone that Firefox version
number bumping killed their ability to migrate work webapps from IE to
Firefox. Just as they were getting close to sign off that it worked on
Firefox 4 (I think), the whole rapid numbering started. And the transition
project was doomed, because there was no way they could re-validate every
3 months for a new "major" version number.

Of course, it's completely beside the point whether there *were* enough
changes in the next major Firefox version to break anything. But the
management perception was that there *were*.

So, if one goes to a new major version frequently, is that going to make
it even harder to get end users to upgrade? And hence lead to even more
Balkanisation of versions than we already have?

Right now, it's hard enough to get firms to consider moving from 5.8.8
(or whatever their prehistoric version of Redhat shipped)

Perl 42 (it's actually compatible with Perl 5, and all the code on CPAN)
kind of takes the shine off it. But without that, what's the perception
going to be?

Nicholas Clark

* I read it on the Internet (so it must be true) and I can't find the
  reference, but it certainly seemed truthful